Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My Thoughts After the Disney Princess Half Marathon

I am sitting down this afternoon to write down a few thoughts that keep running through my mind.  Today it is cold outside with a little snow.  My kids are out of school so our house is busy and loud.  My laundry room has been in constant motion today as I play catch up from the weekend away.

Since July of 2014, I have been anticipating, with my 2 friends, Feb 22, 2015, The Disney Princess Half Marathon.  We signed up just an hour or two after registration opened in July.  The race filled up so quickly (something like 6 hours or so).  It is so hard for me to believe that it is all over.

Today I am sad.  I know that sounds funny.  But if you are a distance runner, I think you will get it.  Or if you have ever set out to accomplish a goal, trained for months, completed it....and then sat still the days after....there is somewhat of a sadness in your heart.  One of my running partners said, "I keep thinking what am I going to do now?"

I keeping playing back in my memory the days after the 2004 Disney Marathon (my one and only one to run)....and I vaguely remember this same feeling.  And I think I even shed a few tears back then as well.  My running days started with a wild ambition to run a marathon.  I was not a distance runner.  I had never run a 5K or a 10K but I trained and ran a marathon.  Eleven years later, I can not even believe it, and man do I feel every bit of 11 years older.  These past 11 years have held some pretty big milestones: falling in love, marriage, dogs, birth of 3 children in 3 years, moving, new jobs, new church, new friendships......

I really never dreamed I would run distance again.  I didn't know if I had it in me.  I didn't know when I would find the time.  I didn't know how I would run all of those training runs where I live (I mean the area is full of hills)!!!! And I sold my treadmill last spring, so I definitely would be forced to run EVERY training run outside.

And then came a text from a friend who wanted to train for the 2016 DPHM, and I being the crazy one, said how about 2015?  And the rest is history.  There is something about the challenge, something about the drive, something about the runner's high, something that just keeps calling me back to the distance.

And so I sit here today thinking....what is next, because I can't imagine stopping now or having to work back up to this level.  Last night I pulled out my marathon medal and put it around my second child's neck.  I pulled out my 1/2 marathon medal and put it around my first born's neck, and then something inside of me said...."now you have to go get one for the baby"!!!  Who says that?!  I guess someone who has fallen in love with running, with the challenge, with the willpower, determination, fight, thankfulness that embodies running.

I know running is not for everyone....heck for me....I laid it to rest for the last 11 years.  But, I know deep inside everyone of us is a desire to accomplish something.  To crush it! To defeat it!  To be able to say.....I did it!  I hope this post will challenge you and encourage you to RUN WITH IT!  Whatever it is....RUN WITH IT!  Chase your wildest dream.  DEFEAT what you never thought you could.

There is NO WAY,  I could have met this goal on my own.  I owe insurmountable thanks to my husband who changed his schedule in crazy ways to watch our kids while I ran.  Some nights they would play at the park while I ran the loop over and over again.  Some nights we would eat sandwiches or breakfast for dinner because it was the easiest thing to do after a long run.  On my last training run....it was 24 degrees outside, snow was falling, the wind was racing at 20mph and the trees were coated in 1/2 inch of solid ice.  I was nervous to run by myself.  My husband sat in the parking lot just so I would know someone was close.  The last mile was the hardest mile I have ever trained....my face freezing the wind howling and the snow rushing in like a blizzard.  I just kept telling myself over and over and over again  "Quitters don't get a medal!" "You have birthed three babies naturally....this is nothing!"  "I am a Mighty Warrior!" "Do NOT RETREAT!"  "Crush it!" "Defeat it!"  "Run it for everyone who wishes they were healthy enough to run it!"  "Be Thankful!"

And so I sit on this side of it today, a little sore, thanking God for the fuel, the drive, and the opportunity...and greatly anticipating......THE NEXT!





Here are a few of my most favorite things for running!

Nike+ App (perfect for tracking run, shoes, training plans, track friends.....)
Sweaty Bands (my friend told me about them....I can't do bands they slip.....these DO NOT)
UnderArmor ColdGear (run with this in below freezing weather and stay warm with thinner layers)
UnderArmor HeatGear (run with this in the hot Georgia summers!)
UnderArmor Infared Headband  (husband bought one like this for me....I NEVER had cold ears ever)
YurBuds (best invention for those of us who iPhone ear buds won't stay in! LOVE!)
Tune Belt (if you can't run with an arm wrap this an awesome belt for your phone, etc...)




No comments:

Post a Comment