Thursday, June 27, 2013

Radical: David Platt



Radical by David Platt was not on my summer reading list.  I have heard A LOT about this book both positive and negative.  After reading Jenn Hatmaker's 7, I decided to read Radical for myself.  We had a copy of it in our home so I did not read this book on the Kindle app.  I actually flipped pages during nap times.

Like I said in the previous post, I am not an endorser of prosperity gospel or poverty gospel.  I believe there is a balance between the two that honors Christ.  There is a natural bent within humans to take things to the extreme and to point fingers at others who are not doing things the way that we think they should be done.

I can relate to David Platt's heartbeat for every nation to hear the Gospel.  I can relate to his challenge of making disciples.  I can relate to his belief in the sovereignty of God.  I think that Radical, for the most part is a good book and a good challenge.  I believe he paints some really big brush strokes that may or may not be true, but I can appreciate his work and his heart.

I encourage you to read it for yourself.  And if you are a believer, I encourage you to see other believers as "on the same team".  Unless a believer is doing something against the Word, we are all on the same team.  God chooses to use each of our talents and gifts in different ways and it doesn't mean that one is necessarily better than the other or more Holy.  I think we will all be surprised when we reach Heaven how short we truly fell.

"Don't try to get rich by extortion or robbery.  And if your wealth increases, don't make it the center of your life." Psalm 62:10 

No comments:

Post a Comment