Friday, August 1, 2014

Engage With Your Kids

Summer is coming to a close.  We are soaking in the last few days and weeks in our house.  Yesterday I spent 30 minutes playing play dough with my daughter.  Today we spent the entire day in a wet swim suit at the water park.

The list below came from our local library.  I love it so much, I decided to post it here.  All of these things can be done throughout the year with your children.  Life with our children doesn't just have to happen during the summer.  Sometimes I find myself striving to check of the "summer fun list" but the truth is my children and I need fun throughout the year.


One of my sweetest friends said these words to me one day regarding her four children.....

"I'm going to make their childhood magical if it kills me"!

Those words stuck with me.  They made me laugh right out loud.  And they echo in my mind when days are hard.  I only have an allotted amount of time with my children.  Why wouldn't I work my hardest to make it magical?!  Magical doesn't have to be big and extravagant and over the top at all times.  Magical can be as simple as the list below.  I believe magical happens when I ENGAGE with my children.  When they know they have MOMMY present 100%.  Those are the moments I believe they will remember as magical.  I have enlarged my most favorite in the list below.  


Visit the library
Play blocks with your child
Read wordless books with your child
Make animal noises together
Look at a picture dictionary together
Sing songs about your day
Talk about the weather with your child. What kind of days do they like best?
Sing counting songs, such as “One, Two, Buckle my Shoe.”
Visit the grocery store with and talk about the many colors you see
Read a nonfiction book with your child
Talk about what is going on around you
Ask your child many questions
Read a story about your child’s favorite animal
Share a story about your childhood
Make a snack together by using a recipe
Do fingerplays and action rhymes any time
Let your child make music with various kitchen items
Read your child a bedtime story
Count with your child as you drive in the car
Make an alphabet book
Collect leaves together and sort them by size and color
Put a puzzle together with your child
Go on a color walk together and point things out that are red, green, etc
Sing “Itsy Bitsy Spider” together
Dance with your child

No comments:

Post a Comment