Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Weekend Project: Do It Yourself Burlap Garland

I have fallen behind in my "The Weekend Projects".  There have been a few projects I have been working on but not really anything blog worthy.  But in an effort to stay on track....here is a project I worked on last week.

Thought it might be some inspiration for those of you who will be decorating for Christmas after Thanksgiving meal or in efforts to avoid Black Friday.  Or who knows, maybe you are like me and already have a tree up.  




{Easy Burlap Garland}


You will need:

A yard or two of burlap (really depends on what you are adorning)
Scissors
Fishing Line (yes you read that right)
Threading Needle





Lay burlap out flat (don't worry about the creases)



Cut burlap in strips.  Mine are roughly 4 inches wide. 
 I did not measure them out.  They are very rustic. 
 I just eyeballed them and went with it.



Thread fishing line through needle and tie several knots to secure line to needle






Then fold your strip of burlap in accordion style and thread your needle through the center.




Once you have threaded all of the burlap you need, cut the fishing line to your desired length.


Tie a loop at each end of fishing line (these will make the garland easy to hang)


I like using fishing line because it has some give to it.  It is clear.  And you can space the burlap out along the line to get the precise look you are wanting.


Secure loops to your tree branches and spread the burlap out














And yes....if you read my blog last year at Christmas time you will note this is the tree that had a section of lights out.  Never did get that fixed and another section went out this year. But the tree is still good....so I just grabbed a few strands and ran them through.  This $70 Target special has been going strong for 8 years now....not gonna let a little light problem get in the way.=)

And, I repurposed the Burlap Christmas Tree Skirt from last year and made garland this year!

So there is my start on Christmas before Thanksgiving!!!!
I can't believe it happened.
Thanksgiving is MY MOST FAVORITE holiday ever
and in someways I feel like I have cheated it.





I linked this project up over at Hi Sugar Plum

No comments:

Post a Comment