Monday, July 7, 2014

A Mason Jar Full of Flowers

"And why worry about your clothes?  Look at the lilies and how they grow.  They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.  And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won;t he more surely care for you?  You have so little faith!"
Matthew 6:28-30

For the last several weeks I have been letting my oldest pick out flowers at the grocery store. A month or two ago we got to shop for groceries at Trader Joe's (it's a good distance from our house).  The moment we walked in the door her eyes filled with wonder and she walked immediately over to the flowers begging me to get some.  She carefully selected yellow tulips.  She was filled with JOY over this purchase and if truth be known, so was I.  

We brought those tulips home, cut the ends off, and placed them in a mason jar full of fresh water.  She put the mason jar of tulips on the center of our kitchen table and since that time we have continued to fill the mason jar weekly with a little flower JOY!

She talks to me a lot about the beauty of what she selected.  She talks to me about their need for fresh water.  She asks me why their life span is so short.  She tells me God made "her" flowers.  She is learning much about her Creator through a simple bunch of flowers.

Yes my grocery bill is a little higher than if I had just left them off, but the conversations I have with her over these flowers can never be bought with a price.  My daughter is the MOST thoughtful human being I know.  She genuinely cares for all people.  She loves deeply.  She is teaching me more about myself and living like Jesus than I ever knew possible.  She makes me want to be a better person.  

I pray I will always take the time to let her pick out flowers with which to fill the mason jar full.  I pray she will live in the confidence of knowing if God cared enough to dress the flowers so beautifully that He will surely dress and care for her that much more.  I pray the length of the flowers days will always remind her we are here for a season, live your life with His Kingdom in mind.







1 comment: