Thursday, July 3, 2014

DIY: Silhouettes Made Easy

For the longest time I have been wanting to make silhouettes of my children.  My sister came last week and we got our craft on.  One of my friends says that silhouettes are a great way to freeze time.  I love that thought.  These silhouettes found the perfect place in our home and they are my newest treasure.

I searched MANY ways to make a silhouette.  Some suggestions included: publisher, ipiccy, 
pic monkey....  I downloaded ipiccy for free and honestly just got frustrated with my inability to really follow the curvature of their faces.

So here is how we did it.  It was not rocket science at all.  And, I am sure that somewhere in my search engine I could have found 100 people who would have suggested it this way. (I probably really should be on Pinterest).

Sorry the pictures are a little grainy....that's what happens when you snap with your phone!



Here is what you will need:
Camera
White Background 
(we used a white blanket draped over an air mattress standing on it's side)
Sunlight
Exacto Knife
Computer
Printer
Black card stock (we used black construction paper)
Mounting paper (I used brown and my sister used blue)
Double sided tape or regular ole scotch tape



Position your child in profile position with a white background behind them.
We tried a dark background but found that the white background worked best for detail.


Open the blinds of your windows to let the natural sunlight kiss their face.
Snap some photos


You might want to have someone stand right in front of them 
to keep their attention from looking over at you 


Load your photos on your computer (We used iPhoto)
Pick your favorite photo
Print at 8x10 (we printed in color for precision and detail)






Take your exacto-knife and cut out your child's profile.  You may want to practice cutting something else out if you are not familiar with your exacto-knife.


Tape your child's printed profile to a sheet of black card stock or black construction paper

Use your exact-knife to trace and cut around your child's profile.



Detach printed photo from black card stock 
(this will leave you with a black card stock profile as well as a color printed profile). 


Place a few pieces of tape or double sided tape to the back of the black card stock profile and adhere it to the center of your mounting paper (our mounting paper was 8.5"x11")



Then frame as you like!

Such a FUN, EASY, and QUICK project and a promise full JOY for many years to come!  These would be great mother's day, grandparent's day, father's day gifts.  Or just a special treat for you.  How fun would it be to surprise your friend with silhouettes of her children!?



I don't know about you but on the eve of America's birthday, I sure am thankful for the men and women who have given their lives for my freedom and for the opportunity to raise these sweet little children in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

**I hope you have a WONDERFUL 4th of JULY**







2 comments:

  1. I'm going to make this a project very soon, thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Great! I would love to see them when you get them done! Such a great treasure.

    ReplyDelete