Saturday, January 18, 2014

Sparkly Green Earrings: Fall Reading List Review



This is probably one of the funniest books on motherhood I have ever read.  We read a lot on parenting but sometimes a mom just needs to read something lighthearted.  This book will have you laughing so hard you are crying and thankful that someone put into words what you have felt so many times as a mom.

From sleepless nights, to potty training, to Brownie meetings and soccer practices Melanie Shankle will capture you with her quick wit and just down right hilarious way of looking at a situation.  She makes me wish I could think faster or just be half as funny as she is.

Here is an excerpt from the end of her book that resonated so deeply with me.....

"I have never been a mother who mourned all the passing signs of babyhood.  Sure, I'd love to have one more day with Caroline as a newborn or a toddler, but for me, motherhood has just gotten better as I've survived breastfeeding, weaned her off the pacifier, completed our potty-training marathon, and watched the terrible threes turn into the charming fours.  

But something about watching her walk into school by herself made me think of all the ways I'll have to let her go over a lifetime.  The truth is, I don't want to let her go, yet I am so proud every time I see she is self-confident enough to take these next steps away from me."

"Because raising a child is a fleeting moment in time that sometimes get swallowed up in the daily routine of car pools and soccer practice and can I get away with serving tacos for dinner again tonight?          And yet it's quite possibly the most important thing we'll ever do.  It's the daily balance of treasuring the moments even as we wish some of them away.  It's treading water in a sea of imperfections.  It's a delicate dance of guilt and joy." 

I sighed a deep breath of relief when I read the words above....finally someone who said what I have always thought inside.  And relief of knowing just because I don't weep when my babies stop nursing or move out of their crib into a big bed that I am not any less of a mom.  But oh when they get out of the car to walk into to kindergarten......I just might DIE!

I hope you take time to read this book.  You will be blessed!  

And Melanie's latest book The Antelope in the Living Room will release February 4, 2014.




No comments:

Post a Comment