Wednesday, February 19, 2014

DIY Valentine Felt Envelopes

I told you on Valentine's that I would be posting a few late Valentine entries this week.
And since we were blasted with snow and ice last week and there was no preschool....
and the Valentine party was post-poned until today.....
I am right on time!

I made these Felt Valentine Envelopes for my kid's valentines.
They are super easy to make and cost about $1 or $2 depending on how many colors of felt you use.
The felt I purchased was in sheet form 8.5x11 and was 25 cents each.



Take one piece of felt and cut it into a "house"
This will be the front of your envelope as well as the back flap
Cut your second piece of felt in half.
This will be the back portion of your envelope




Next cut out shapes that you want to attach to your envelope
I chose arrows and these squiggly lines for the return address.
(Honestly this pic looks like some kind of ancient Chinese characters)



Then cut out as many hearts as you want.
I cut red, white and pink


 Lay out your design on the "house" side of your envelope and arrange away.


Then sew onto felt or glue.
I sewed in order to get the best attachment to the felt.
But, I will warn you, I have heard sewing felt can gum up your machine.
So, you are warned.

I sewed black stitches into the black felt.
White stitches into the white felt
And red stitches into the red felt


When you are finished with the front of the envelope,
lay the back of the envelope on the back.

Match them up and stitch the edges together.
I also stitched the edges of the flap that fold over to give it more durability.

On one envelope I used a single line stitch
but on the last two I used a zig-zag stitch (that I personally liked much better)



My littlest man woke up after 1 hour of naptime.
He was not fond of the sewing machine.
He hates loud noises.....don't worry I didn't keep him in agony too long!



Here are my finished envelopes!


Front and back views for you



I really love how they turned out. 


The possibilities with these are really endless.
Put your imagination to work and I bet you could come up with some awesome designs. 




Don't you just love a hand written letter?
I sure do!



No comments:

Post a Comment