Monday, April 21, 2014

"Sharing" on Easter

We had a really great Easter!  Easter looks a bit different in our family because our daddy is a pastor.  Christmas looks a bit different in our family because our daddy is a pastor.  And then sometimes they both get really hectic because mommy is a nurse and some years has to work the holidays.  The shuffle is sometimes so crazy I don't even know how it really all manages to work out.


With everything we have, Matt and I try and make deep meaningful moments for our children during the holidays.  We usually don't celebrate "the day" together as a family.  We have to "share" our daddy.  And sometimes that can be just down right hard. Sometimes our mommy has to be "shared" and that can be just down right hard.


In the last eight years, as the wife of a pastor, I have learned holidays are not about me!  In my earliest days I didn't feel the sting so much because I got to be with Matt and serve alongside of him with no hesitation.  When we started having children.....that changed everything.  I would have to miss out in serving along side of him because of scheduled nap times, unexpected temper tantrums, and the endless task of feeding children.  God has been GENEROUS with me through this process.  He has allowed me to embrace holidays celebrated early as a family and seeking out other people to spend the actual holiday with.



Just yesterday, my kids and I, celebrated Easter with a few friends who were "sharing their daddies" as well.  God blessed us with yummy food, warm friendship, and a beautiful reminder of His ultimate sacrifice.  With seven children in our house, I could not help but be thankful and prayerfully ask God to capture each one of their hearts for eternity.  


Yesterday, my husband wrote a sweet Facebook note of thanks to me and all pastor's wives who sacrificially give on Easter.  As I read his sweet words, God brought to mind the pastors and their families who lived and spoke deep truths into my life.  I never knew the sacrifice their families made for my "happy holiday".  It is real to me now and I am incredibly thankful.  

When our holidays seem a little crazy and I feel like being selfish....JOY comes in knowing lives are being changed because of Jesus and HIS KINGDOM is advancing.  And when I stop and reflect on what that truly means....I would "share" our daddy any day! 


I hope you had a wonderful EASTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment