Monday, December 24, 2012

Mary

"Don't be frightened Mary," the angel told her, "for God has decided to bless you! You will become pregnant and have a son, and you are to name him Jesus. He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High.  And The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David.  And he will reign over Israel forever, his Kingdom will never end!"  Luke 1:30-33

Mary repsonded, "I am the Lord's servant and I am willing to accept whatever he wants. May everything you have said come true."   Luke 1:38

"Oh, how I praise The Lord.  How I rejoice in God my Savior!  For he took notice of his lowly servant girl, and now generation after generation will call me blessed.  For he, the Mighty One, is holy, and he has done great things for me." Luke 1:46-49

So when Mary and Joseph came to present the baby Jesus to the Lord as the law required, Simeon was there.  He took the child in his arms and praised God, saying, "Lord, now I can die in peace!  As you have promised me, I have seen the Savior you have given to all people.  He is the light to reveal God to the nations, and he is the glory of your people Israel."

Joseph and Mary were amazed at what was being said about Jesus.  Then Simeon blessed them, and he said to Mary, "This child will be rejected by many in Israel and it will be their undoing.  But he will be the greatest joy to many others.  Thus, the deepest thoughts of many hearts will be revealed.  And a sword will pierce your soul." Luke 2:27-35


Did she know all of the story when she met with the angel who told her she would bear the Son of the Most High and call him Jesus?  She praised the Lord and rejoiced in God her SAVIOR.  But scripture says she was amazed at what was being said by Simeon about her child, Jesus.  Could she fully grasp the meaning of his words in verse 33, "Thus, the deepest thoughts of many hearts will be revealed.  And a sword will pierce your very soul."

She knew standing at the foot of her son's cross, when Jesus himself acknowledged her standing next to the disciple he loved.  He said, "Woman, he is your son."  And he said to the disciple, "She is your mother."  And from then on this disciple tool her into his home.  John 19:25-27

Mary trusted God enough to bear his son.  She may not have known all of the pieces to the puzzle.  But she had enough faith to know that she made a promise to the Most High and she stood by her words "I am the Lord's servant and I am willing to accept WHATEVER he wants." Luke 1:38.

Aren't you thankful for Mary?  I am.  Today, I ponder her life and her precious walk with the King of Kings, Emmanuel!


No comments:

Post a Comment