Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Horizontal Striped Curtains {Nester Style}

A little over a year ago I stumbled onto 2 large rolls of brown and white striped fabric at a discount fabric store near my house.  I was so excited because this fabric would be perfect to make The Nester's Horizontal Striped Curtains.  And, it looked so similar to the fabric she used.

I bought all that the store had.  I sold several yards on EBAY.  And I made curtains for my home.  I LOVED how they turned out.  So when we sold our home and the buyer asked for my curtains.....I quickly said NO WAY.  I moved my curtains and my extra fabric to my new house.

Just this last week, I used the remaining fabric to make my sister's nursery curtains and I gave her the remaining 4 yards.  I also lengthened my old curtains because the windows in my new house are a lot longer.

I decided to put together a tutorial on how I made these curtains (using the ones I made for my sister last week).  I will preface this by saying....this is not for the faint at heart.  Especially when you have a newborn in your house.....



Decide how wide and long you want your curtains to be.  
I made these ~64" wide and ~100" long. 
 I cut them a little wider and longer to allow for seems along the top and edges.

Roll the fabric out horizontally and cut per your desired width


I cut these on my floor 
{I envy those HUGE cutting tables at the fabric stores}


I needed two sections per panel.
I made 2 panels 


I then laid the fabric out {right side down}
And decided how much to cut off one panel {in order to sew stripes together}


As you can see I left 5' of brown on one of the fabrics and cut the rest away


Here is what it looked like after the cut


Here is what it looks like on the printed/right side after the cut


Then I pinned the fabrics together


 


Here is what the panel looked like once I pinned the two fabrics together


Then I sewed the two pieces of fabrics together to make one long panel


I used white curtain panel for lining.
The white curtain panels are too short for any window in our house now.
I decided to repurpose them as lining for these curtains.


I double folded the edges of the panels in towards the white lining.
You want to sew the folds and the linings together so that they are one piece.
I always crease my fabrics with a hot iron for folds.






Next I folded the top of the panel {yes, over the grommets}


Ironed a nice fold at the top.
And sewed the top of the panel onto the white lining


And here they are complete with lining.
I did not hem the bottom.
I wanted my sister to be able to decide the exact length.

Hopefully my sister will send me some pics of her finished nursery 
and you can see how they turned out.


Here is how they turned out in our kitchen!
I am as please with them in this kitchen as I was in our old kitchen.







I think the Nester would be proud!








No comments:

Post a Comment