Saturday, May 4, 2013

My Favorite Crock Pot Discoveries



I use the Crock Pot a lot!  My work days are 12 hour shifts plus one hour commutes to and from.  It is important to me that my family has a hot healthy meal even on the nights that I don't get to eat with them.

I also use the Crock Pot on days that I don't work.  It saves me from having to rush home to put dinner on if we are out.  It saves me from heating up my entire house.  It usually means I have less clean up after dinner.

I have an oval Crock and a round Crock made by Rival.  They are nothing fancy.  They are both 8-10 years old but they work great!


Here are a few things I do in the Crock Pot that help save me TIME!


  • Baked Sweet Potatoes: Wash them and put them on HIGH in your Crock for 4-5 hours. (You might have to experiment with your crock as every one will heat differently)  No foil needed!  They come out soft and beautiful.  

  • Baked Potatoes: Wash them and put them on HIGH in your Crock for 4-5 hours.  (You might have to experiment with your crock as every one will heat differently)  No foil needed!  They come out soft and beautiful.  

  • Spaghetti Sauce: Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes in Thick Puree with Basil, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of water, 1 T sea salt, 2 T Olive Oil, 4 T dried Italian Seasoning, 3 cloves of minced garlic.  Put it all in the Crock and simmer on low all night or all day!  (Add cooked ground beef or sausage if you like).

  • Crock Pot Lasagna: Line bottom of Crock with no-boil noodles (may have to break them up to fit the shape of your crock).  Then layer your favorite ingredients: Ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella, spaghetti sauce, no-boil noodles....and so on.  Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 4-5 hours.

  • Baked Chicken: Put a whole chicken in the Crock.  Season with garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, paprika, and onion powder.  Put a few pats of real butter under the chicken skin for extra flavor.  Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.

  • Chicken Pot Pie: 2 cups of shredded baked chicken, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1 cup of peas and carrots, 16 oz of sour cream.  Mix all together and put in crock.  Top with crushed crackers (I have used Ritz and Saltines: both are great).  Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 4-5 hours.

  • BBQ Pork:  Pork Roast or Loin of your choice.  Pour one bottle of BBQ sauce, 1 cup of Zesty Italian dressing, and 1 T of Liquid Smoke into the crock on top of the Pork.  Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.  Shred for BBQ tacos, BBQ sandwiches, or pair with your favorite sides.

  • White Chicken Chili: 2 cups of chopped/shredded baked chicken, 4 cans of Northern Beans, 2 small cans of chopped green chilies, 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of water, 2 T of cumin, and 1 T of sea salt.  Cook on High 4-5 hours or Low for 6-8 hours.  Ladle into bowls and top with shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
Pretty much...I put any recipe in the Crock Pot!  I'm serious.  I have yet to try a cake or brownies in my Crock but hope to soon.  There are some great Crock Pot FB pages, websites and good old fashioned recipe books out there.  

If you have a crock pot recipes you love, please share!

Happy Crocking!

No comments:

Post a Comment