Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Steak Recipe

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A few months ago we purchased meat from a company that services our neighborhood.  It was a great idea knowing that we would soon have a newborn in our house and grabbing meat out of the freezer would be convenient.

We have a cut of beef (Round Steak) that I really did not know how to fix.  I knew that my husband would not eat Salisbury Steak.  I had to search for someway to cook this meat and use it.  I looked up steak recipes on allrecipes.com

I settled on this one.....

Thyme-Rubbed Steaks with Sauteed Mushrooms

I mainly chose this recipe because I had all of the ingredients in my cabinet and fridge.  These days I do not make little trips to the store for ingredients.  With three kids in tote, I try and get everything I need in one shopping trip.  Sometimes two.  

2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp grond black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 lb steak cut 3/4 in thick (your choice of cut)
1 (8oz) package of sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup minced shalot
2 T butter
2 T red wine
1T vegetable oil 
Salt and pepper to taste


  1. In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and thyme. Sprinkle onto each side of the steaks, pressing in so it adheres. Set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots; cook and stir for about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, and cook for a few more minutes, until tender. Stir in the red wine, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
  3. Heat the oil in a separate skillet over medium-high heat. Fry steaks for 5 to 7 minutes per side, or to your desired degree of doneness. Remove to a plate and let rest for a few minutes. Top with mushrooms and serve.



Here is how it turned out in our house.  And, everyone loved it!  SCORE!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No comments:

Post a Comment