Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Ten Years of Service.

It was 18 summers ago, in a children's camp in the middle of no where Russia, that God called me to be a nurse.
I say called because I NEVER wanted to be a nurse.  That was my sister's dream and definitely NOT mine.
But 10 days in a country so removed from my own and a God who would not leave me alone,
chipped away at my heart......


&


Yesterday I received this in the mail.


Hard to believe that 10 years ago I was 22 years old starting my career as a nurse.
I remember thinking....I will be 32 in ten years.
I remember wondering if I would still be working in a hospital, if I would be married, if I would have children......



And here I am 10 years later: married, a mom of 3 & still a nurse at the same hospital.
My career has changed a lot in 10 years. 
Where God has allowed me to go....I never dreamed possible.
I have learned a lot about God, myself, life, death, medicine and people over the last 10 years.



I often get asked, "How do you do what you do?"
And to that I reply, "I love pediatrics.  Sometimes it is a sad place, but for every 1 that we usher into Heaven, 
10 go home better than when they entered our doors".



And that is the TRUTH.  



But of course what I do has changed a lot since these
three are now mine.

I do what I do because I know that nothing is worth more than your children's health.
And if these three ever found their way to the hospital I would want someone to 
give them the same care they would give their very own.
That's my daily goal: care for other people's children the way I would care for my very own!

I am fortunate to work part time and be compensated well.
I am fortunate that my children are well cared for during my absence and never miss a beat.
I am fortunate that God allows me to be a part of something greater than myself.

You see this card doesn't say, "Celebrating your Career"
It says "Celebrating Your Service"
My career allows me to SERVE in a capacity much bigger than my own.

Some days are SUPER HARD with more responsibility than one human being should
hold on their shoulders.  Some days are just down right frustrating.  Some days are more
physically demanding than I ever knew possible as a nursing student all those years ago.


On those days I cling a little bit harder to these words.......
1 Corinthians 10:31
So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God

This week I enter back into caring for others in a hospital setting.
I have enjoyed 12 sweet weeks at home with my babies.
My house will soon be filled with: 
 Crock Pot Dinners


 &
 
Bottle Prep and Cleaning




Is there an area in your life 
that needs to hear and be challenged by
1 Corinthians 10:31?

No comments:

Post a Comment