Tuesday, October 16, 2012

31 Days (Day 16) Limited in my role as a wife



 "Jesus living in you ALONE will allow you to do this job well". 

 These were my last words on Monday night to a group of ladies at a premarital class.  I had the privilege to spend a few hours talking to engaged ladies about Biblical Roles in Marriage, specifically the wife's role.

We talked about our role as a helper or completer (Genesis 2) and we tackled the ever dreaded topic of submission (Ephesians 5:22-23).  If I had to guess I would say that 1/2 to a 1/3 of the ladies in the room may be spiritually unresolved.  Meaning: not sure where they stand with Jesus or spiritual things at all.  But, I have to give them credit....they are attending a multiple week premarital class at our church.  And, I have to believe that God is working in their precious hearts. 

It is hard to teach Biblical Roles of Marriage to a room of women when you have no idea if they really buy into the Bible at all.  The preparation on my part was tremendous.  I really had to shed my coat of knowing my role in Biblical Marriage and jump out into the hearts and minds of women where these concepts of helpmate, completer, and submission are in contradiction to the world they know.

My overall goal was to set these women up for success.  To help them see marriage with eyes wide open.  To leave no rock unturned or surprises concerning God's role for them in a Biblical Marriage.  These ladies were at the top of their game.  During our Q&A time they asked specific questions to the points that I had made.  There were probably 15-20 ladies who asked deeper questions.  I felt like the Holy Spirit was stirring.  

My ending thoughts were something along these lines.......

When Matt and I were getting married I thought, we are set up for success in marriage.  Divorce has not immediately effected our family.  Both of our parents are still married.....So we should be able to be married for a lifetime no problem.   On the flip side of that two of my most precious friends, were not set up in the same way. Divorce was immediate in their families and series of events had blown up their families.  Here is what I know today....the "success" of my marriage to Matt is not dependent on what our parents have done.  We are responsible to God for OUR marriage and our foundation can not be built on what our parents have.  

I think my two most precious friends portray marriages that are dependent on CHRIST alone and HIS GRACE ALONE in spite of their family roads.  My two friends have beautiful stories of Biblical Marriage.  They did not learn it from their parents, they learned their roles through CHRIST alone.  So if you come from blown up families know that you can have a successful Biblical Marriage.  And if you come from families that are still intact, be thankful but know their coat tales are not safe for you to ride.  You must work hard at your OWN marriage. 

My prayer for the room of ladies was and is that each of them would have a God Honoring Biblical Marriage.  That they would know there role as their husbands helpmate and that they would submit to their husband out of obedience and love for Christ.  My prayer is that today's statistics on marriage would not be true for a single one of them and that they would fight for their marriages.       

What a sweet night for me and a blessing to my soul as I reflected on how LIMITED I am in my role as a wife, but through Jesus ALONE I can be LIMITLESS.






2 comments:

  1. I loved learning about Biblical marriage in the Preparing for Marriage class at my church (it followed the book of the same title). It changed my idea and opinion of submission. My husband to be is and will always be my servant leader, and I am his helper. Without me he cannot lead our family. I LOVE that. Though my parents are still married and have a wonderful marriage, the Biblical Marriage was not clear to me growing up. I am so glad that you had the opportunity to minister to these ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are off to a great start if you can grasp this concept! Praying for you and all God has in store for you. Love watching your story unfold!

    ReplyDelete