Tuesday, October 9, 2012

31 Days (Day 9) Limited by Finances


When we first got married our goal was to live on one of our salaries and save the other.  I think most people have these lofty goals and then married with income and freedom sets in and you continue to add new things or additional things to your life.  That was the case for us, at least.  We bought what we wanted.  We gave a lot.  And we never really thought twice about a budget, just don't bounce our bank accounts. 

For us our income changed when Matt resigned from his previous job, finished up his master's, and worked 20 hours per week consulting with a local church.  During that time, we welcomed our first child into the world and I cut my hours to part time.  I would have NEVER chosen that cycle of events to happen all at the same time but there are many other intricate parts to those turns of events that lead us to knowing that was the path God had for us.

I was very nervous and walked on eggshells for a while but standing on the other side of it, I can see that God blessed that path.  Matt was able to care for Amelia at home on the days that I worked.  We are fortunate that both of our children have been taken care of in their home on the days that we work.  

That season really opened our eyes to how much we have and how little we truly need.  We spent a lot of time evaluating our finances and began the process of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace.  We had long talks about our goals and current status.  Through Financial Peace we learned how to give every dollar a name.  We learned how to create and monthly develop a budget based on our responsibilities and our goals.

It is not always easy to stay on budget and we do not always succeed.  Sometimes reality is a hard to pill to swallow, but what I can tell you is where we once were limited by "where is all of our money going?"  we now live freedom knowing exactly where our money is going.

We have learned that we are LIMITED by finances when we take no control over them but we are LIMITLESS with our finances when we diligently work at them and trust God to bless the work of our hands.  

I can not say that I have experienced the depths that Paul describes in the verses below.  But, I do know that no matter what may come our way financially, I long for these words to be more than just words to our family.

     Philippians 4:11-13
For I have learned to be content, whatever the circumstances may be. I know now how to live when things are difficult and I know how to live when things are prosperous. In general and in particular I have learned the secret of eating well or going hungry of facing either plenty or poverty. I am ready for anything through the strength of the One who lives within me.



3 comments:

  1. Hey Lynds - It's Stace. Just wanted to say thank you for writing here. Just in the few short days you have written on these things, you have encouraged my heart. Thanks for sharing all that you have learned, and please tell me there will be more than just 31 days?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stace! You are too kind. Thank you for taking time to read. It's just a hodge podge of what I have learned and still need to learn. It has been a fun project and at times a little overwhelming. But somehow I am keeping up! Blessings to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a wise sister once told me in regards to going part time after having a baby that it will all work out, that God will always provide...and HE has and HE does.

    ReplyDelete