Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days: (Day 3) Limited by body image

"Destruction is certain for those who argue with their Creator.  Does a clay pot ever argue with its maker?  Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, 'Stop, you are doing it wrong!'  Does the pot exclaim, 'How clumsy can you be!'  How terrible it would be if a newborn baby said to its father and mother, 'Why was I born?'  Why did you make me this way?'  This is what the Lord, the Creator and Holy One of Israel, says: "Do you question what I do?  Do you give me orders about the work of my hands?  I am the one who made the earth and created people to live on it.  With my hands I stretched out the heaven.  All the millions of stars are at my command."  Isaiah 45:9-12, NLT


When I read the verses above, I think to myself...NO!  I would never say such a thing to my Creator.  But, the truth of the matter is there have been seasons of my life where I have done just that, I question the Creator.  I call them seasons because for me personally, issues with my body image have come in seasons.

The verse says that DESTRUCTION is certain for those who argue with their Creator.  I know my days of arguing with God over my body cause destruction in my mind, my relationships, my body and ultimately it effects every ounce of my being.

These phases seems to come when I am not following as closely to my Father as I should and I allow Satan to fester insecurities within myself.  These insecurities are rarely if ever brought on by something  someone has said to me about a particular part of my body.  They are issues that I create in my mind.

Often times they stem from comparison.  And more times than not my comparison leave me limited.  Limited because most of my comparisons are unobtainable.  Have you ever been there?  I think it would be hard to be a woman and say that we have never been there.      


"You turn things upside down!  Shall the potter be regarded as the clay, that the thing made should say of its maker, 'He did not make me'; or the thing formed say of him who formed it, 'He has no understanding'?"  Isaiah 29:16, ESV

Several month ago I worked through a mom's study at my church titled Warrior Mom by Kristina Seymour.  In the study Kristina address the issue that Satan is not omnipresent but he whispers lies to us until we start to believe them.  Once he has us believing these lies he is freed up to move onto the next person because he now has us destructing ourselves over and over again, like a broken record, with the original lie he fed us.


Yes, I still have seasons of struggle but here is how I combat them:


  • Openly admit my struggle before the Lord
  • Talk to my husband about my struggle
  • Stop the broken record of lies
  • Do not question the Creator
  • If I feel unsatisfied with the way I look get off the sofa and exercise

And here is how I prepare for seasons of battle:
  •  I purposely do not own a scale
  •  I purposely never diet
  •  I purposely never write down calories or what I have eaten for the day 
  •  I purposely make exercise a part of my routine (not every day but several times a week) 

My prayer for myself is that I will not live in seasons of struggle where I am paralyzed and LIMITED.  My prayer is that I will deal with the struggle head on, abolish it, and live in the LIMITLESS FREEDOM that can be found in my Creator.

"Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?" 
 1 Corinthians 3:16, ESV




1 comment:

  1. So encouraging! :) I know this. It's good to be reminded (in a couple of weeks, the Isaiah passage will be illustrated on my blog...) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete